Contribute. Grow. Lead…with OxyChem. Looking for a challenge? Desire to achieve your true potential? OxyChem is a growing, action-oriented, safety driven chemical manufacturing company continually striving to be the best in the business while staying focused on environmental protection. The secret to our success has and will continue to be our people.
Occidental Chemical Corporation (OxyChem) is a leading North American manufacturer of polyvinyl chloride (PVC) resins, chlorine and caustic soda – key building blocks for a variety of indispensable products such as plastics, pharmaceuticals and water treatment chemicals. Other OxyChem products include caustic potash, chlorinated organics, sodium silicates, chlorinated isocyanurates and calcium chloride. OxyChem’s market position is among the top three producers in the United States in 2017 for the principal products it manufactures and markets. Based in Dallas, Texas, the company has manufacturing facilities in the U.S., Canada and Latin America. In a fast-paced industry that demands precision, we create a supportive workplace where the safety and well-being of our employees are paramount. We are committed to rewarding top performers, offering very competitive pay and benefits, and providing tremendous career development opportunities.
We are looking for an experienced and self-motivated individual to fill the position of Mechanical Engineer which requires a Mechanical Engineer degree, at our Chemical Manufacturing Facility located in Niagara Falls, Ontario Canada.
In a fast-paced industry that demands precision, we create a supportive workplace where the safety and well-being of our employees are paramount. We are committed to rewarding top performers, offering very competitive pay and benefits, and providing tremendous career development opportunities.
Assists with managing maintenance activities in the plant to ensure that all equipment is maintained and operating properly and ensures that all equipment related goals are met. Liaises with the Maintenance Scheduler, Engineers, Operators and Tradesmen to ensure that equipment performance problems are addressed, and preventative actions are in place to prevent a re-occurrence. Designs and implements equipment modifications to optimize reliability, quality, productivity, cost control, safety and environmental compliance. Conducts daily work activities in support of HSE objectives and policies. Uses personal accountability to assist with carrying out duties, responsibilities, and authority as defined in HSE programs, practices and procedures. Understands and complies with all HSE policies and programs. Works safely with respect to health and environmental requirements.
1/ Participates in plant maintenance activities to ensure safety, productivity and product quality. In cooperation with various skilled trades assists with troubleshooting maintenance work assignments to resolve mechanical related issues.
- Ensures that the correct repairs / procedures are used.
- Applies a systematic problem-solving process consistently using Mechanical Engineering principles.
- Ensures maintenance repairs are properly scoped and communicated prior to execution.
- Requisitions material and parts as required, safety precautions and recommended manpower required.
- Communicates/Schedules with Technical Safety and Standards Authority for piping, pressure vessel and fuels related approvals.
- Works with skilled trades and Engineering in leading the plant vibration monitoring program.
- Monitors plant lubrication program and makes recommendations on oils, lubricants, and ensures proper fluids are used.
2/ Designs and implements projects that improve safety and environmental performance, reliability, quality, productivity and cost reduction/control,
- Completes mechanical related projects based on interpretation of design experiments, lab analysis, process control data analysis and SPC/SQC data trends.
- Provide ongoing engineering assistance to operations and maintenance. Troubleshoot process operating problems, investigate equipment failures, conduct special tests, develop reports and provide technical assistance as required.
- Monitors equipment performance and makes recommendations to improve reliability and reduce cost.
- Provide troubleshooting and technical support during planned and unplanned outages.
- Provide the expertise to identify, evaluate, develop, specify, justify, install and startup process improvements to increase production capacity, improve operating reliability, reduce manufacturing costs, reduce energy usage, conserve raw materials, improve product yields, improve product quality, enhance safety, upgrade environmental safeguards, and provide for the overall optimization of process operations.
- Utilize process piping knowledge to perform pipe design/drawing development.
- Presents detailed designs of modifications to management for approvals via special documentation (AFE, MOC, etc.).
- Completes and receives approval for all Management of Change documentation and check sheets.
- Completes bid analysis. Implements approved project modifications; orders project materials, co-ordinates permits and contractor crews within the operations schedule.
- Prepares documentation, completes testing of modifications and prepares a close-out report.
- Prepares operating procedures and trains Operators/Foremen as required.
3/ Executes the requirements of the plant Safety Program
- Determines safety hazards related to assigned tasks and takes action to eliminate; documents and communicates to appropriate staff.
- Complies with and enforces plant safety rules and requirements, leads by example.
- Performs job observation reports on a monthly basis.
- Issues permits for non-production related activities, as outlined by the approved permit approver program.
- Completes assigned action items in Frontline.
- Actively participates in plant’s Health, Environmental, Safety, and Security (HESS) programs to assure a safe and environmentally sound workplace.
- Actively participates in safety meetings and various other HESS programs while promoting safety through offering recommendations to other employees on working safely.
4/ Mechanical Engineering projects and alterations
- Ensures proper communication of relevant information regarding modifications and new installations.
- Recommends equipment selection and provides estimated costs for minor projects.
- Stays current with engineering standards including ASME, API, boiler pressure vessels and ensures compliance.
- Complies with all requirements of the MOC process related to the project or change.
- Ensures parts and procedures are available for new installations and communicates with affected staff.
- Develops design output documents including P&IDs, plan/section views (piping and HVAC), elevation and isometric sketches for drawings and engineering instructions.
- Provides field verification of pipe/tank measurements
- Creates and revise piping, diagrams, piping isometrics and plot plans.
- Works alongside Inspector to create UT (thickness testing) location maps of piping and equipment
5/ Administrative Responsibilities
- Pre-arranges scheduled maintenance to coincide with equipment availability.
- Provides budget explanations to management staff.
- Provides projected maintenance costs for departmental budget preparation.
- Handles customization of AutoCAD workstations, manage plotting, transfer of files, importing or converting other CAD file formats, pictures, scans, etc.
Education: Successful completion of a University Degree in Mechanical Engineering or related field of study. Strong knowledge of plant Engineering including processes, procedures and related systems in a plant environment. Strong knowledge in mechanical systems, pressure vessels and preventative maintenance systems. Sound knowledge of the Occupational Health and Safety Act and regulations. Knowledge of computers and ability to operate computer systems and software applications including Microsoft Excel, Word, Power-point, Outlook and to conduct research using the internet. SAP knowledge / experience would be an asset. High level of problem solving/analytical skills, strong organizational and coordination skills. Ability to work independently and within a team is required.
Experience: Related Mechanical Engineering experience in plant operations with a focus on mechanical systems, processes, pressure vessels and preventative maintenance systems. Must have related experience and be familiar with plant operations, systems, processes and procedures. Proven experience with diagnostic, analytical and problem solving to resolve issues effectively. Previous engineering related experience including planning, coordinating, organizing work or projects. Related experience in preparing reports and maintaining records. Excellent interpersonal and communication skills both written and verbal. Ability to deal with tact, diplomacy and courtesy. In addition, must have previous experience with Health and Safety practices and procedures in a manufacturing environment, ideally a chemical processing facility.