- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent practical experience.
- Experience working in a design/build environment for mission-critical facilities.
- Experience in the design, operation, and commissioning of industrial cooling systems.
- Master’s degree in Professional Engineering.
- Experience in AutoCAD.
- Knowledge of large-scale mission critical facility’s mechanical infrastructure systems.
- Ability to work in a dynamic team environment.
- Ability to travel up to 25% of the time as needed.
- Excellent communication and estimating skills.
About the job
Our computational challenges are so big and unique we can’t just buy our hardware, we’ve got to make it ourselves. Our Platforms Team designs and builds the hardware, software and networking technologies that power all of Google’s services. As a Mechanical Engineer you design and evaluate our data center systems, identifying product requirements and contributing to research and project planning. From the chip to chiller, you are responsible for designing and optimizing an architecture that will scale with Google’s continued growth.
With your technical expertise, you lead and manage projects, develop product and process improvements, provide consultation to others and help facilitate training and development.
As a Mechanical Engineer, you will be involved in program level engineering projects and the modification of existing infrastructures. You’ll provide and prepare all types of documents including engineering reports, design documents, Total Cost of Ownership (TCO) analysis, drawing markup, budget, schedule, and more.
Behind everything our users see online is the architecture built by the Technical Infrastructure team to keep it running. From developing and maintaining our data centers to building the next generation of Google platforms, we make Google’s product portfolio possible. We’re proud to be our engineers’ engineers and love voiding warranties by taking things apart so we can rebuild them. We keep our networks up and running, ensuring our users have the best and fastest experience possible.
- Collaborate with the Operations and Design team to develop Data Center (DC) mechanical designs, starting from project conception to Issue for Construction (IFC) for new DC projects build outs and major infrastructure upgrades.
- Contribute to new technology insertions through collaboration with the core Engineering teams during development. Create system level concept and schematics designs, and carry through to detailed designs to ensure requirements are met.
- Manage all site-level mechanical system issues during project design phase. Identify and resolve issues with the cross-functional program teams.
- Be responsible for the development of site master plans.
Google is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. See also Google’s EEO Policy and EEO is the Law. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know by completing our Accommodations for Applicants form.