Position: General Manager
Location: Stovepipe Wells, CA. Inside Death Valley National Park.
Job Status: Full Time, Year-Round
Start Date: Flexible (June – September 2023)
POWDR is an adventure lifestyle company that inspires every human being with cool experiences in awesome places. Within POWDR’s portfolio are ten mountain resorts including Copper Mountain and Eldora Mountain Resort in Colorado; Killington and Pico Mountain in Vermont; Boreal Mountain Resort and Soda Springs in the Lake Tahoe region of California; Mt. Bachelor in Oregon, Lee Canyon in Nevada, Snowbird in Utah and SilverStar Mountain Resort in British Columbia, Canada.
Stovepipe Wells has an 80-room hotel, restaurant, bar, pool, gas station, general store, and gift shop. Stovepipe is a welcoming, safe, and environmentally responsible resort providing accommodations and services inside Death Valley National Park. Over the next few years, the resort will undergo upgrades to rejuvenate accommodations and dining for public enjoyment. Substantial renewable energy projects and energy efficiency upgrades will also be completed. POWDR operates Stovepipe Wells under a long-term concession contract with the National Park Service.
The General Manager will oversee all operations and 35-50 employees at Stovepipe. In collaboration with POWDR, you will manage long-range goals, strategic plans, execute on operating plans, and ensure the appropriate policies and procedures are implemented to support the staff and culture. This position is responsible for managing the daily operations of including lodging, food & beverage, retail, grocery, marketing, human resources, maintenance, and liaison with the National Park Service. The GM may also be required to oversee certain capital projects.
You will incorporate a hospitality mindset and best-in-class safety standards into all aspects of operations. You will actively cultivate a safe, friendly, and fun work environment where outdoor adventure and environmental stewardship are embraced.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Collaborate with POWDR’s leadership to develop a comprehensive and robust growth strategy for Stovepipe Wells.
- Co-develop and execute annual and five-year financial plans, including both capital projects and P&L.
- Meet or exceed location budgets through successful leadership, team building, and expense management.
- Ensure concession contracts compliance and high quarterly performance ratings.
- Ensure the ESQ (environment, safety, quality) management system is implemented and maintained.
- Foster a positive and energetic culture that recognizes and rewards efforts to maximize employee engagement and guest service.
- Implement, and enforce the policies and procedures of the organization.
- Lead and / or participate in all Resort Leadership Team and Quarterly Planning and Budget/Business Planning Meetings.
- Serve as primary point of contact with all legal matters including coordinating communications with general counsel, general liability, worker’s compensation, property rights, etc.
- Provide the leadership and resources to properly train and develop salary and hourly employees.
- Establish, implement, and enforce best-in-class guest and employee safety standards in accordance with company policies and procedures as well as local, state & federal laws
- Mentor and develop your managers and employees.
- Create, participate in, and maintain strong relationships with Park Service staff, the adjacent concessioner, the local community, guests, vendors, and stakeholders.
- Serve as the primary spokesperson and representative for Stovepipe, able to promote the company though media and personal appearances.
- Join the Las Vegas Tour and Travel association and develops relationships with hotel concierges and tour groups to grow a tour and travel business.
Other Duties as Assigned:
- This job description is an overview of the scope of responsibilities for this job and is not intended to be an inclusive list of job tasks and expectations. With the evolution of this role, the responsibilities of this position may change. The job must be prepared to accept new responsibilities and transfer others.
- Due to the in-person nature of the hospitality business, this position is on-site. Housing will be provided on-site.
- A flexible schedule with commuting from Pahrump, Beatty or Las Vegas will be considered.
- Due to the nature of our business, Stovepipe Wells Village is open every day. You must be prepared to work a schedule which may include Saturdays, Sundays, and holidays.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Experience:
- Able to work and thrive in Death Valley National Park.
- Bachelor’s degree in business, finance, economics, accounting, marketing, or related field required.
- 5+ years’ experience in the hospitality industry, with proven success in P&L management at a hotel or resort.
- Demonstrated track record of effective execution, including revenue growth and profit enhancement.
- Sound technical skills, analytical ability, good judgement, and strong operational focus.
- Able to work under minimal supervision with a high attention to detail and accuracy.
- Capacity to communicate effectively in writing and verbally across all levels of the organization and across multiple aspects of the community and industry.
- Working knowledge of computers including MS Office Suite.
- Willingness to work a flexible schedule and travel.
- Demonstrate awareness and sensitivity to gender and diversity.
- $130,000 – $150,000 + bonus. On-site housing included. Vehicle and other perks discretionary.
POWDR and Destination Death Valley are equal opportunity employers, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, age, national origin, disability status, genetic information, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.