Primary Purpose: This position provides clinical support to a diverse group of patients, Doctor of Dental Medicine (DMD) and Dental Assisting (DA) students, staff, and dentists within a clinical outreach dentistry setting to support the delivery of patient care and the clinical student experience. The position assists with providing continuity of care and timely, efficient, and effective service, contributing to an environment that values the beliefs, needs and contributions of a culturally diverse community.
This position is intended for newer graduates from an accredited DA program with an opportunity to be mentored by experienced dental assistants while carrying out duties of a Dental Assistant.
Nature of Work: As a part of teaching and learning, the College of Dentistry has a strong commitment to patient and clinical experience for its DMD and DA students. Reporting to the Director of Clinics and under the guidance of experienced staff members, the Dental Assistant provides excellent, culturally responsive customer service to all and must have a good overall understanding of Clinic and College policies and processes to appropriately meet the needs of the faculty, students and patients. The Dental Assistant works in both small clinical settings and in a large, high volume, multi-disciplinary student clinic with shifting priorities. Due to high volumes of work in a busy clinical environment with frequent interruptions, this position requires the ability to multi-task with speed and accuracy as patient care and clinic income are directly affected. This position has little control of the work pace as pace is driven by clinic and student activity. Discretion is required as this position is privy to and works with sensitive and confidential patient information.
The Dental Assistant work is primarily at the College of Dentistry, Dental Clinic however may also provide service at College of Dentistry outreach clinics including the Saskatoon West Dental Clinic, Prince Albert Campus Dental Clinic. Specific work locations and scheduling for clinics outside of Saskatoon will be agreed upon between the Dental Assistant and the Director.
Duties or Accountabilities:
- Directly or indirectly support the delivery of patient and clinical care
- Ensure patient safety and appropriate procedural processes.
- Assists patients by acquainting them with policies, procedures, and helping them navigate the system as necessary
- Responds to patient inquiries and concerns in-person.
- Provides chairside support to students and faculty in dental procedures
- Provide support for Infection Prevention and Control protocols and COVID-19 related protocols including but not limited to: conducting patient, staff and student screenings, cleaning and disinfecting of workspace, assisting with teaching the protocols to students.
- Uses the Electronic Health Record to ensure students enter timely and accurate information and facilitating corrections as required
- Attends meetings to ensure delivery of patient care and student experience is consistent within the clinic
- Assist with student orientations and demonstrations
- Sterilizes, distributes and maintains dental instruments and equipment maintaining overall asepsis in clinical areas
- May provide occasional rotations and vacation relief at the College’s Saskatoon West Dental Clinic and Prince Albert campus dental clinic
- Other duties as assigned
Education: Completion of Grade 12 and a Registered Dental Assistant Level II license in Saskatchewan. Knowledge of current infection control procedures is required.
Within the first six months of employment in this position, the incumbent will be required to complete: Accreditation in Infection Control and Safety; CPR and AED Certification; Biosafety Certificate; and WHMIS training.
Experience: Experience working with the public in a busy environment is required. Experience working in a culturally diverse environment would be an asset. A combination of relevant education and experience may be considered.
- Proven effective interpersonal skills with the ability to contribute to an effective, positive and respectful working environment for patients, students and other staff;
- Effective organization, coordination and time management skills;
- Effective written and oral communication;
- Demonstrated ability to perform duties and responsibilities in a pleasant, positive, and professional manner
- Ability to interpret and apply departmental policies and procedures, and apply basic analytical skills to problems where clear precedent may not exist;
- Skill in organizing and executing multiple assignments under specific time constraints;
- Skill in exercising initiative, resourcefulness, and sound judgment with an ability to solve problems and make decisions;
- Keyboarding skills and proficiency with MS Office is required;
- Experience with Electronic Health Records would be an asset;
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment with a team approach to delivery of patient care;
- Ability to independently perform specialized tasks following stated procedures;
- Ability to manage and prioritize competing deadlines;
- Ability to communicate and co-operate effectively with all levels of management, staff, faculty, students and patients within and outside of the College;
- Ability to handle sensitive and confidential matters with discretion and tact;
Department: College of Dentistry
Status: Term 12 months with the possibility of extension or becoming permanent
Employment Group: CUPE 1975
Shift: Monday to Friday. Hours will be between 7:30-5:00.
Full Time Equivalent (FTE): 1.0
Salary: The salary range, based on 1.0 FTE, is $23.35 – 30.61 per hour. The starting salary will be commensurate with education and experience.
Salary Family (if applicable): Applied Scientific Services
Salary Phase/Band: Phase 4
Posted Date: 5/3/2023
Closing Date: 6/20/2023 at 6:00 pm CST
Number of Openings: 1
Work Location: On Campus
The successful applicant will be required to provide the following current verification(s) where ‘Yes’ is indicated below. Further information is available at: https://careers.usask.ca/tips-for-applying.php
Criminal Record Check: Not Applicable
Driver’s License and Abstract Check: Not Applicable
Education/Credential Verification: Yes
Vulnerable Sector Check: Not Applicable
Please review the University of Saskatchewan’s health and safety requirements for faculty, staff and students in consideration of the COVID-19 pandemic.
The University is committed to employment equity, diversity, and inclusion, and are proud to support career opportunities for Indigenous peoples to reflect the community we serve. We are dedicated to recruiting individuals who will enrich our work and learning environments. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, in accordance with Canadian immigration requirements, Canadian citizens and permanent residents will be given priority. We are committed to providing accommodations to those with a disability or medical necessity. If you require an accommodation to participate in the recruitment process, please notify us and we will work together on the accommodation request. We continue to grow our partnerships with Indigenous communities across the province, nationally, and internationally and value the unique perspective that Indigenous employees provide to strengthen these relationships. Verification of Indigenous Membership/Citizenship at the University of Saskatchewan is led and determined by the deybwewin | taapwaywin | tapwewin: Indigenous Truth policy and Standing Committee in accordance with the processes developed to enact the policy. Successful candidates that assert Indigenous membership/citizenship will be asked to complete the verification process of Indigenous membership/citizenship with documentation. The University of Saskatchewan’s main campus is situated on Treaty 6 Territory and the Homeland of the Métis. We pay our respects to the First Nations and Métis ancestors of this place and reaffirm our relationship with one another. Together, we are uplifting Indigenization to a place of prominence at the University of Saskatchewan.