Onsite: The position requires an employee to be onsite on a full-time basis
We are seeking a Motorsports Aerodynamics Team Support Engineer to join a multi-disciplined team of engineers and technicians for testing, developing, and optimizing the aerodynamic performance of a complete race vehicle. Working with GM Key Partner teams to ensure they are racing the highest-performing vehicles possible while building and cultivating close relationships with GM Motorsports colleagues and GM-supported race teams is core to this role. You will work with the motorsports team to provide direction and actionable data to GM race teams to improve weekend performance.
Joining the GM Motorsports Organization will provide you with the experience and exposure it takes to work in a competitive environment and the opportunity to showcase your aerodynamic research and development skills, contribute to innovation, connect lessons learned in racing to production intent vehicles, work cross-functionally with our partners and ultimately, help shape the future of Motorsports.
What you will do:
- Quantify drag, lift, and other aerodynamic deliverables to optimize on-track performance
- Communicate test results and support the aerodynamic needs of the GM Key Partner race teams
- Work together with NASCAR Teams, GM motorsports engineering, virtual design, development, and validation
- Share needs and requests of GM Key Partner race teams to GM Motorsports
- Support full car and subsystem models for use in detailed aerodynamic tests and simulations
- Perform and analyze CFD simulations to provide team support and vehicle development
- Participate in the planning and execution of wind tunnel tests; organize test results into concise, presentable reports for proper decision-making and implementation
- Communicate and cooperate cross-functionally to refine vehicle setup and aerodynamic build parameters
Additional Job Description
What you will need:
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering, Physics, or a related subject with coursework in Thermodynamics, Heat Transfer, and Fluid Mechanics
- 5+ years post-graduate aerodynamic experience, Motorsports experience preferred
- Experience with computer tools, 3D CAD files, CAE methods, and Experimental Data
- Ability to multi-task in a dynamic, constantly evolving environment, with a talent for organization, collaboration, and communication
Nice to have:
- Masters or Ph.D. in mechanical or aerospace/aeronautical engineering
- Knowledge of experimental aerodynamics best practices when conducting physical testing
- Familiarity with aerodynamic wind tunnel testing, measurement techniques and data systems
- Experience with the architecture and performance of NASCAR race vehicles
- Knowledge of NASCAR race series regulations
Our vision is a world with Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions, and Zero Congestion and we embrace the responsibility to lead the change that will make our world better, safer, and more equitable for all.
Why Join Us
We aspire to be the most inclusive company in the world. We believe we all must make a choice every day – individually and collectively – to drive meaningful change through our words, our deeds, and our culture. Our Work Appropriately philosophy supports our foundation of inclusion and provides employees the flexibility to work where they can have the greatest impact on achieving our goals, dependent on role needs. Every day, we want every employee, no matter their background, ethnicity, preferences, or location, to feel they belong to one General Motors team.
The goal of the General Motors total rewards program is to support the health and well-being of you and your family. Our comprehensive compensation plan includes, the following benefits, in addition to many others:
- Paid time off including vacation days, holidays, and parental leave for mothers, fathers, and adoptive parents;
- Healthcare (including a triple tax-advantaged health savings account and wellness incentive), dental, vision, and life insurance plans to cover you and your family;
- Company and matching contributions to 401K savings plan to help you save for retirement;
- Global recognition program for peers and leaders to recognize and be recognized for results and behaviors that reflect our company values;
- Tuition assistance and student loan refinancing;
- Discount on GM vehicles for you, your family, and your friends.
General Motors is committed to being a workplace that is not only free of discrimination but one that genuinely fosters inclusion and belonging. We strongly believe that workforce diversity creates an environment in which our employees can thrive and develop better products for our customers. We understand and embrace the variety through which people gain experiences whether through professional, personal, educational, or volunteer opportunities. GM is proud to be an equal-opportunity employer.
We encourage interested candidates to review the key responsibilities and qualifications and apply for any positions that match their skills and capabilities.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statements
GM is an equal-opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. GM is committed to providing a work environment free from unlawful discrimination and advancing equal employment opportunities for all qualified individuals. As part of this commitment, all practices and decisions relating to terms and conditions of employment, including, but not limited to, recruiting, hiring, training, promotion, discipline, compensation, benefits, and termination of employment are made without regard to an indivi d dual’s protected characteristics. For purposes of this policy, “protected characteristics” include an individual’s actual or perceived race, color, creed, religion, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, age, sex, or gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, lactation, and related medical conditions), gender identity or gender expression, sexual orientation, weight, height, marital status, military service and veteran status, physical or mental disability, protected medical condition as defined by applicable state or local law, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local laws and ordinances. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, email us at [email protected] or call us at 800-865-7580. In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.