- Full-time maximum term position up to February 2026
- Salary based on experience, range: $96,953 – $121,188 plus super
- Attractive employee benefits including salary packaging and hybrid working
About the role: The Data Scientist plays a key role in delivering on VLA’s program of analytics work, including working collaboratively across the organisation to identify and provide recommendations on the prioritization of work in line with the VLA strategy.
Reporting to the Manager, Business Intelligence and Analytics, you will drive and implement the development of new predictive data models and work closely with internal stakeholders to provide ad-hoc analysis, training, advice and support in order to improve the quality and value of core data assets and uplift the workforce’s data capabilities.
This is a great opportunity to play a key role in applying your extensive knowledge and skills whilst working in a collaborative team environment.
About you: As our ideal candidate, you will possess:
- Experience in developing predictive/analytical models and demonstrate high calibre data capability and drive to ensure that reliable data is applied in decision making.
- Significant experience working with Python, R or similar programming language in an analytical context, and a working knowledge of SQL.
- The ability to present findings using contemporary dashboarding tools such as Tableau, Power BI or similar.
- Outstanding interpersonal and communication skills, ability to present complex concepts clearly, influence, consult and negotiate with people across all levels of the organisation, including to a non-technical cohort.
- The ability to prioritise tasks, meet deadlines and work collaboratively as part of a multi-disciplinary team.
Don’t meet every requirement? At VLA, we understand that your work and life experiences can be just as valuable. If you’re excited about this role but your CV doesn’t align perfectly with our job description, we encourage you to apply anyway. You may be just the right candidate for this or one of our many other opportunities.
About Victoria Legal Aid: We provide legal representation to those who need it most. With over 1000 staff employed in 15 offices across Victoria, we help people with their legal problems by providing information, advice and education with a focus on the prevention and early resolution of legal problems.
Our clients come from all walks of life and so do we. We hire great people from a wide variety of backgrounds and foster a work culture that’s inclusive as well as diverse. Your unique ideas and perspectives are valued so that we best represent the people we serve.
- Family friendly, flexible hybrid work from home & office model
- Training and professional development opportunities
- Supportive team environment in modern offices
- Salary packaging which allows up to $15,900 of your salary each year to be tax free
How to apply: To be considered for this role, please submit a current resume and completed candidate application form (listed within the file attachments).
If you require adjustment to the recruitment and selection process or need an alternative format to any of the application material, please don’t hesitate to get in touch with our team.
For further information review the attached position description or contact Will Lopez, Manager, Data and Analytics, Outcomes and Evidence on (03) 9269 0630.
No agency applications will be accepted.
Other relevant information: It is a requirement that staff attend for office-based days at their primary work location. In line with this requirement, interstate applications will be considered only where the candidate is able and willing to relocate to Victoria, unless part of a border community.
VLA is committed to putting the safety and wellbeing of children first.