The Energy Optimization team develops and maintains the physical dispatch and electricity market trading strategies for front-of-meter and behind-the-meter storage systems providing Grid Services. We are an interdisciplinary team of engineers and analysts who create solutions for monetizing energy storage by continuously forecasting electricity market prices, analyzing key market trends, and actively re-optimizing behavior. We have repeatedly demonstrated success in residential, commercial, and utility-scale settings.
We are seeking Energy Market Forecasting Analysts to provide data-driven guidance on our commercial strategy and decision-making. Having well-informed views of future electricity market dynamics is a critical component of the commercial success and accelerated deployment of Tesla hardware. As part of the Market Development team, your analysis will inform decisions on asset valuation, pricing, commercial structuring, market-entry, risk tolerance, and product design. You will work alongside algorithm engineers, finance leads, and commercial teams at the intersection of commercial structuring, market analysis, and real-world operations. Successful candidates will understand the key drivers that impact battery revenues and will analyze the implications when these key drivers are flexed across a range of scenarios.
- Macroeconomic conditions
- Weather year variability
- Deployment of renewables and batteries
- Retirement of thermal assets
You have a deep intellectual curiosity about electricity markets that fuels your ability to learn quickly and apply insights across different market designs and policy environments. You have a track record of informing decisions in the face of uncertainty and ambiguity and can communicate results effectively across disciplines at varying levels of technical depth. You excel in teams that are collaborative, cross-functional, and fast-paced.
What You’ll Do
- Develop and maintain Tesla’s long-term view of market fundamentals and prices in wholesale electricity marketes around the world.
- Develop long-term revenue forecasts using a combination of internal modeling tools, vendor forecasts, and expert judgements.
- Serve as a technical representative of the team with prospective customers on our forward-looking views.
- Monitor market design and policy initiatives to assess their impact on storage monetization in the mid to long-term.
What You’ll Bring
- Direct experience running production cost models.
- A passion for extracting insights from data and a track record of impacting decisions through your analysis.
- Ability to effectively communicate technical concepts and analytical results to clients and internal stakeholders.
- Investment diligence for large-scale transmission-connected energy assets.
- Modeling of energy storage market applications via simulated market dispatch.
- Experience on a power trading desk or other exposure to real-time operations.
- Experience with power flow modeling, FTR/CRR trading, and node/hub basis risk assessment.
- Ability to manipulate, analyze, and visualize data in Python.