Ten Speed Press is hiring a creative book Junior Designer/Designer to join our ten-person in-house team. We’re a leading publisher of food and drink, art and design, pop culture, lifestyle, and self-help books. As a Junior Designer/Designer, you’ll collaborate closely with our Art Directors, Creative Director, Editorial Department, and renowned authors to create visually captivating book designs.
Join our dynamic and innovative environment and contribute to the creation of high-quality publications.
Visit our Instagram channels for recent examples!
Responsibilities and duties:
- Create visually captivating covers and uniquely designed interiors for highly illustrated books
- Generate and ideate creative ideas and solutions and communicate them clearly with book teams
- Collaborate with editorial and production partners, and authors
- Create mood boards for design, typography, and color
- Track schedules, budgets, and bookmaking process with support from manager
- Work on some projects independently, collaborating with editorial partners and authors
- Manage color printing process and preflight with oversight from manager
- Identify potential creative collaborators, including illustrators, photographers, and freelance designers
- Help art directors commission illustrators and freelance designers and monitor progress
- Assist art directors with photoshoot organization, shot lists, and on- and off-set direction
- Minimum of 0-3 years Design experience, preferably in print
- Thorough understanding of the book design process and technical knowledge of book production
- Strong knowledge of typefaces and typography, full-color printing, RGB/CMYK color spaces, and image formats, and some facility with color correction of digital photography
- Exceptional interpersonal and verbal communication skills, strong attention to detail, and timely and efficient follow-up
- Excellent graphic design skills, with a passion and eye for good typography and design trends
- Aptitude for creative thinking and effective problem solving, while staying within budget and on schedule
- Ability to organize, prioritize, multitask, and coordinate workload
- Must be a team player and able to work independently while knowing when to ask for help
- Curious and motivated to learn about new topics and other points of view
- Proficiency working with Adobe Creative Suite CC: InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, Bridge, and Acrobat Pro
- Working knowledge of MS Office programs: Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- An interest in pop culture and sports, and experience with licensed publishing would be a valuable asset
The salary for the Junior Designer position is $53,000 and the salary range for the Designer level is $63,000 – $67,000. All positions are currently eligible for annual profit award or bonus, subject to Company results.
Penguin Random House job postings include a good faith compensation range for each open position. The salary range listed is specific to each particular open position and takes into account various factors including the specifics of the individual role, and candidate’s relevant experience and qualifications.
Full-time employees are eligible for our comprehensive benefits program. Our range of benefits include, but are not limited to, Medical/Prescription drug insurance, Dental, Vision, Health Care/Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account, Health Savings Account, Pre-Tax and Roth 401(k), Short and Long-Term Disability Insurance, Life/AD&D Insurance, Commuter Benefits, Student Loan Repayment Program, Educational Assistance & generous paid time off.
Penguin Random House is the leading adult and children’s publishing house in North America, the United Kingdom and many other regions around the world. In publishing the best books in every genre and subject for all ages, we are committed to quality, excellence in execution, and innovation throughout the entire publishing process: editorial, design, marketing, publicity, sales, production, and distribution. Our vibrant and diverse international community of nearly 300 publishing brands and imprints include Ballantine Bantam Dell, Berkley, Clarkson Potter, Crown, DK, Doubleday, Dutton, Grosset & Dunlap, Little Golden Books, Knopf, Modern Library, Pantheon, Penguin Books, Penguin Press, Penguin Random House Audio, Penguin Young Readers, Portfolio, Puffin, Putnam, Random House, Random House Children’s Books, Riverhead, Ten Speed Press, Viking, and Vintage, among others. More information can be found at http://www.penguinrandomhouse.com/.<http://www.penguinrandomhouse.com/>
Penguin Random House values the array of talents and perspectives that a diverse workforce brings. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, national origin, religion, age, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, or protected veteran status.
Company: Penguin Random House LLC
Postal Code: 10019
Job ID: 260763