H-E-B is one of the largest, independently owned food retailers in the nation operating over 420+ stores throughout Texas and Mexico, with annual sales generating over $34 billion. Described by industry experts as a daring innovator and smart competitor, H-E-B has led the way with creative new concepts, outstanding service and a commitment to diversity in our workforce, workplace and marketplace. H-E-B offers a wealth of career opportunities to our 145,000+ Partners (employees), competitive compensation and benefits program and comprehensive training that lead to successful careers.
Level Up, is a cohort-based onboarding experience designed to help our newly hired digital talent get acclimated to H-E-B through networking, training, and volunteer opportunities, Tech Talks, and additional hands-on experiences. We believe Level Up will help us strengthen our world-class Digital teams right from the start while helping us build tomorrows tech and people leaders. Watch a short video about Level Up by clicking here.
Since H-E-B Digital Technology’s inception, we’ve been investing heavily in our customers’ digital experience, reinventing how they find inspiration from food, how they make food decisions, and how they ultimately get food into their homes. This is an exciting time to join H-E-B Digital-we’re using the best available technologies to deliver modern, engaging, reliable, and scalable experiences to meet the needs of our growing audience. If you enjoy taking on new challenges, working in a rapidly changing environment, learning new skills, and applying it all to solve large and impactful business problems, we want you as part of our team.Our Partners thrive The H-E-B Way.
In the Software Engineer I job, that means you have a…
- HEART FOR PEOPLE… you’re willing to communicate with and learn from your manager and your team
- HEAD FOR BUSINESS… you can follow technical guidance and understand why it’s important
- PASSION FOR RESULTS… you’ll take the initiative to get familiar with technology / the software development process
What you’ll do (Design & Development)
- Learn about new technology, about the digital organization, and about the industry
- Take technical direction to deliver well-scoped work
- Code / configure, maintain, test, and debug existing or new systems
- Deliver quality features and bug fixes that align with our development process
- Assist in research and fact finding to develop or modify applications
- Effectively communicate (verbal, listening, and written) with team and manager
- Provide end-to-end support to applications
Specific to Software Engineer
- You have working knowledge in technologies such as Python, Golang or Ruby.
- Collaborate to help define infrastructure as code frameworks, approaches and standards.
- You have working knowledge of technologies such as Docker/K8s, CICD workflows, and IAC (Terraform)
- AWS/GCP/Azure experience is a plus
- Knowledgeable of common software design patterns
- Engage in and improve the software delivery lifecycle by evangelizing an “as code”-driven approach to software infrastructure engineering and incorporating automated infrastructure as code capabilities into CI/CD pipelines.
- Experience building RESTful APIs a plus
Who You Are
- You have an ownership mentality and can operate independently
- You have a fundamental understanding of system development life cycles
- You can code by example and take instructions well
- You have a related degree or comparable formal training, certification, or work experience (preferred)
Who We Are
H-E-B is one of the largest, independently owned food retailers in the nation, operating over 400 stores throughout Texas and Mexico, with annual sales generating over $26 billion
- We hire talented people (116,000+ Partners), and give them autonomy to be creative in how they impact the business
- We’re a Partner-driven company with a Bold Promise – Because People Matter
- We embrace Diversity and Inclusion as core values, and support them with thriving company-wide programs
- We’re a truly original Texas-based company that created the Spirit of Giving to help Texas communities every day
- Once eligible, our Partners become Owners in the company. ‘Partner-owned’ means our most important resources-People-drive the innovation, growth, and success that make H-E-B The Greatest Retailing Company
What Are the Perks?
- A robust Benefits plan with coverage starting Day One
- An 80/20 PPO medical plan with a $30 copay for in-network primary care
- Dental plans, Vision plan, voluntary insurance plans, and flexible spending accounts (FSA) are available
- The Partner Care Team, for any time you have healthcare or coverage questions
- Partner Guidance allows free counselor visits, up to 5 times per year for each issue
- Telehealth offers 24/7 access to board-certified doctors over the phone
- Funeral leave, Jury Duty, and Military pay (subject to applicable law)
- Short-Term and Long-Term Disability coverage after 90 days
- Maternal / Paternal Leave for new parents, adoptions included
- Eligibility for 401(k) participation after 6 months
- Eligibility for quarterly bonuses based on company performance
- 10% off H-E-B brand products in-store and online starting Day 1
- Access to other savings (gyms, phone, hotels, and more) through an online discount program after 90 days
- Opportunity to become a “Partner-Owner” after 6 months of employment