Aims of Job/Job Purpose: Support the Director of Estates to deliver the full spectrum of Estates and Facilities Management functions in full support of the wider organisational objectives of South and City College Birmingham to a cluster of designated sites.
Key Accountabilities and Responsibilities
1. Support the Director of Estates in the development and implementation of the College’s Estates Management and Property Strategy.
2. Manage the operational aspects of Estates and Facilities Management ensuring compliance with Health and Safety legislation.
3. Line management of a team of Estates Support Managers/Building Managers whose responsibility is daily operational aspects of Estates and facilities.
4. Leading and Managing a cross-College Estates service e.g. cleaning/security.
5. Assist where necessary with the tender process for the various Estates service contracts including those subject to OJEU procedures.
6. Assist with the management of service contracts to ensure effective delivery of services across the College in terms of quality and value.
7. Assist with the management of capital and refurbishment projects as required.
8. Assist where necessary to manage the Estates budgets effectively.
9. Ensure best value principles and procurement best practices and procedures are followed in the placement of orders and contracts.
10. Undertake relevant benchmarking as required.
11. Assist with the management of all aspects of premises related health and safety requirements including, for example, legionella and asbestos management.
12. Deputise for the Director of Estates when necessary.
13. Cover for the Estates Support Managers/Building Managers as required.
14. Undertake any other duties commensurate with the nature and grade of the post.
15. Respond to any out of hours emergencies within
designated cluster as required.
General: Divisional Management
1 Work to ensure the College’s success in the areas of improving standards, effective employer engagement, widening participation and social inclusion.
2 Contribute fully and effectively to the College’s development and business planning processes. 3 Provide effective leadership to and efficient management of staff.
4 Apply College policies and procedures effectively, in support of the College’s development plan and mission statement.
5 Provide accurate and on-time information when requested.
Management of staff
1 Provide clear and effective leadership and vision for assigned staff within the Division.
2 Agree and set reasonable targets in line with the College’s development plan.
3 Hold regular staff meetings and communicate clearly the College’s, and Estate’s priorities. 4 Ensure effective and timely recruitment, selection, induction and mentoring of staff.
5 Deploy staff effectively in delivering services or supporting Curriculum delivery.
6 Ensure appropriate training and development is identified and provided to staff.
7 Deal effectively with under-performance of staff within the Division, adhering to relevant Human Resources procedures.
8 Follow the College Performance Planning Review procedure to ensure personal and professional development, aligned to the College’s Strategic Objectives.
9 Monitor levels of absence among staff and take appropriate action in conjunction with the personnel department.
10 Comply with the College’s Equality, Diversity and Inclusion Policies.
Management of the student experience
1 Assist where necessary to ensure that the Health, Safety and Welfare requirements support the learner experience.
2 Ensure that the Estates contribution to pastoral /service support is sufficient and appropriate for all learners.
3 Ensure accurate records are kept on learner feedback and actions taken where required.
4 Act to resolve effectively and efficiently cases of dissatisfaction or conflict.
Management of physical resources
1 Prepare estimates and manage budgets to meet planned activity.
2 Keep accurate financial records and ensure all invoices are supported with Purchase Orders.
3 Keep an inventory of resources and manage purchasing procedures.
4 Monitor the use of resources and respond to the needs of Curriculum delivery.
5 Ensure that accommodation and resources are adequate for the range of provision and learners.
6 Ensure that health and safety requirements are fully complied with and risk assessments are conducted, recorded accurately and reviewed as procedurally required.
Management of quality
1 Promote continuous improvement by requiring high standards and setting appropriate targets to raise standards across the division.
2 Be up-to-date with management information and performance data and use it effectively in assessing performance and setting targets for the directorate / Division.
3 Assist the Director with the production of a divisional
business plan, aimed at effecting improvements in quality and efficiency.
4 Ensure that outcomes from surveys of students and employers are taken seriously and used to improve the Estates provision.
1 Ensure that the College’s provision is marketed effectively through collaboration with marketing where necessary.
2 Ensure the Division plays a full part in developing links with and provision for employers, community groups, schools, Higher Education Institutions, local authority partners and other relevant external agencies.
Salary: £39,502.00-£42,390.00 per year
- Bereavement leave
- Company car
- Cycle to work scheme
- Employee discount
- Free parking
- Gym membership
- On-site gym
- Sick pay
- Wellness programme
- Work from home
- Monday to Friday
Work Location: One location
Reference ID: REQ001108