Individually we are people, but together we are Aviva. Individually these are just words, but together they are our Values – Care, Commitment, Community, and Confidence.
We are looking for a resourceful and forward-thinking Cloud Engineer who possesses outstanding prioritization skills.
This position is essential in ensuring that our Cloud team is delivering solutions with best-in-class technology, while striving for each solution to be cost efficient, balanced, reliable, and delivered at pace. This individual will be working with our partners to deliver the right solutions for each initiative, building strategic partnerships with business teams and internal IT teams.
As a Cloud Engineer, you will combine both technical skills and be positive and collaborative with the people on your team. You should be proficient in delivering Cloud solutions in areas including server, storage, network, backup/recovery, database, middleware, and disaster recovery. You are comfortable in a fast-paced work environment.
In addition to the solutions delivery for Cloud, you will support the solutions that are rolled out by the team.
Does this sound like you?!
What you’ll do
- Responsible for capturing system requirements and working together efficiently with the application architects and owners
- Responsible for generating scripts and templates required for the automatic provisioning of resources
- Responsible for writing Playbooks/Cookbooks in order to automate installations, deployments, configuration management and application life cycle management tasks
- Install and implement processes and standards for optimal and efficient use of cloud service provider offerings
- Responsible for debugging technical issues inside a complex ecosystem involving infrastructure as code, networking, virtualization, secrets management, etc.
- Collaborate with the engineering and application teams to enable their applications to run on Cloud infrastructure
- Ensure effective administration and compliance with all internal processes, procedures, and controls to effectively and efficiently manage risk, ensuring it remains within tolerance
- Remain familiar with traditional and new technologies relating to infrastructure hosting and cloud
- Work with internal and external partners to obtain and translate requirements into technical implementations
- Provide timely and responsive technical expertise both within and across departments and applications, which may include rotational on-call support and off-hours system maintenance
- Actively participate as a part of the team to building balanced long and short-term strategies, set and achieve measurable goals and objectives, and develop action plans with meaningful but realistic timelines
- Maintain metrics vital to support reporting related to infrastructure performance and optimization
- Possess a continuous improvement mind-set and proactively look for opportunities to increase efficiencies, refine processes and cut costs within the department as well as throughout the business
- Research new technologies and invest time in relevant professional courses/conferences to maintain the currency of skill sets
What you’ll bring
- Extensive experience with technologies such as: Jenkins, HashiCorp software (Packer, Terraform), Infrastructure as Code, Bitbucket, GIT, Datadog, Immutable Infrastructure, YAML
- Extensive experience with processes such as: SDLC, CI/CD Pipelines, Agile Methodologies
- Certifications such as AWS Cloud Practitioner, AWS Solutions Architect, AWS SysOps Administrator or Microsoft Certified Azure Solutions Architect
- University degree in either computer science, computer engineering or IT
- Minimum 3-5 years of experience in the IT industry with outstanding experience in cloud engineering, AWS stack, DevOps and automation
- Strong experience in Linux System / Windows Server administration
- Experience working within a multi-functional team of App Admins, DBAs, Sys Admins, and DevOps to specify, design, develop, test and implement cloud deployments.
- Experience with supporting technologies such as TCP/IP, SSL/TLS, HTTP, DNS, routing, load balancing, CDNs, etc.
- Experience with AWS stack like IAM, S3, Lambda, Glue, Cloud Watch, SNS, SQS, EC2,VPC,NAT,Internet Gateway, KMS, RDS, ALB, ELB, EFS etc.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills and ability to demonstrate consistent teamwork.
- Demeanor to thrive in a high-production, fast-paced, customer focused environment.
- Ability to contribute to multiple projects / demands simultaneously understanding the criticality of business objectives
- Strong documentation skills and keen attention to detail.
- Prior experience in hands-on troubleshooting of complex systems problems that includes capacity planning and performance tuning, reliability or high availability initiatives
- Sets standards and builds procedures for Cloud Operations
- Manage cloud deployments with cloud administration tools and management frameworks
- Identify, implement and support application monitoring solutions for cloud deployments
- Experience with other public cloud environments like Azure and GCP will be an asset
- Computer Science/Computer Engineering Degree is required for this role
What you’ll get
- Competitive rewards package including base compensation, eligibility for an annual bonus, retirement savings, share plan, health benefits, personal wellness, and volunteer opportunities.
- Exceptional Career Development opportunities.
- We’ll support your professional development education.
Additional Information: Aviva Canada has an accommodation process in place to provide accommodations for employees with disabilities. If upon commencement of employment, you require a specific accommodation because of a disability, please contact your Talent Acquisition Partner so that an appropriate accommodation can be arranged. This process applies throughout your career with Aviva Canada.