Reporting directly to the Datacenter Engineering Programme Design Manager, the Senior Design Manager will be assigned to manage the engineering scope, schedule, and budget for greenfield, brownfield and retrofit engineering / design projects as assigned across the EMEA region. You will manage internal and external resources for the delivery of land technical due diligence, construction permitting, engineering/designing the building shell/core, power, cooling, telecom and controls infrastructure to align with Microsoft IT capacity roadmap for builds and leases.
Microsoft Cloud Operations and Innovation (CO&I) is the team behind the cloud. Within CO&I, the Datacenter Engineering (DCE) team is responsible for delivering core datacenter infrastructure for Microsoft’s cloud business. The MS portfolio consists of complex, multi-disciplinary, large scale, multi-year datacenter construction and lease projects. We are looking for a passionate, high-energy individual to help build the cloud datacenters that power the world’s largest online services.
Microsoft’s mission is to empower every person and every organization on the planet to achieve more. As employees we come together with a growth mindset, innovate to empower others, and collaborate to realize our shared goals. Each day we build on our values of respect, integrity, and accountability to create a culture of inclusion where everyone can thrive at work and beyond.
Knowledge, experience and skills:
- Have excellent communication, organization, and leadership skills.
- Possess a high level of proficiency in commercial and industrial architecture and engineering with a primary focus on datacenter design.
- Be able to work with other technical and non-technical groups in a fast- paced environment.
- Be a person of integrity, be methodical, detailed-oriented with a strong work ethic.
- Ability to lead teams of consultants and engineers in advanced engineering and operational processes and procedures as they relate to large datacenter environments
- Contract negotiation skills with solid understanding of value-added ideas without compromising safety and quality of deliverables.
- Ability to get things done in fast-paced environment; not easily discouraged; forward looking with open mindset.
- Knowledge of local building codes, regulations, and jurisdictional standards
- Ability to prepare and present using MS office packages.
- Able to travel domestically and internationally.
- Experience in delivering engineering / construction infrastructure projects
- Experience as lead engineer, lead architect, design manager or project manager
- Large scale project experience (100MM per project) delivering Design Build, and Design Bid Build type projects.
- Have good experience in running technical site due diligence programmes
- Demonstrate a good track record in datacenter/ mission critical section.
Preferred, not required:
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering or equivalent experience in related engineering, architecture, construction, or operations field
- Chartered / Professional Engineer / Project Manager or Registered Architect
Ability to meet Microsoft, customer and/or government security screening requirements are required for this role. These requirements include, but are not limited to, the following specialized security screenings: Microsoft Cloud Background Check: This position will be required to pass the Microsoft Cloud background check upon hire/transfer and every two years thereafter.
- Provide design management, technical direction, decision-making and overall leadership for our datacenter architectural / engineering designs.
- Oversee the delivery of multiple, concurrent, complete datacenter design solutions aligned with the scopes, schedules, and budgets of the projects, and manage the design deliverables of MS consultants (architects, engineers, and designers)
- Engage with key MS stakeholder groups within Microsoft as well as outside vendors who specialize in datacenter architecture and engineering.