The Engineer I is an individual contributor involved in existing and new facility design and planning within Gas Operations. The position is also involved in field decisions for the installation/construction of gas facilities. Responsibilities typically include beginning level gas engineering and/or construction projects.
POSITION DIMENSIONSThis position does not have responsibility for employees or budgets. The Engineer I has limited responsibility for directing contract personnel or firms. The Engineer I reports to a Manager, Supervisor, Distribution Engineer or other exempt position in Engineering or Technical Services along with various exempt and non-exempt positions.
ESSENTIAL JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
- Evaluate municipality, other utility and private developer plans to assess the need for facility modifications
- Design and manage projects according to Company and government specifications
- Prepare parts lists, bills of material, and cost estimates
- Conduct computer simulations/network analyses to test facility designs or evaluate gas system integrity
- Conduct research related to facility qualification and upratings
- Evaluate and select optimum design alternatives
- Perform preliminary engineering analysis necessary to investigate new projects
- Perform engineering calculations
- Review completed designs
- Coordinate projects with other work groups and departments
- Communicate project status to appropriate departments
- Maintain data in accordance with regulatory requirements
- Write technical instructions and procedures
- Research information on material, equipment and related costs for project activities
- Assist with long-term planning initiatives
- Assist with emergency response activities
- Review and evaluate Operations and Maintenance Compliance Records
- Assist with emergency response activities. Be subject to “on-call” duty as needed
- Perform related duties and responsibilities as assigned
- Regular and predictable attendance is a condition of employment and is an essential function of the job
QUALIFICATIONSThere are clear precedents and practices which the incumbent uses to determine how this job is performed. This position requires a bachelor’s degree in Civil or Mechanical Engineering from an accredited university. Other Engineering degrees may be considered.
$63,682 – $95,522
At Southwest Gas, attracting the best talent is key to our strategy and success as a company. We use flexibility to develop competitive compensation offers to ensure we are able to hire the best candidates. The quoted salary range represents the minimum and maximum of the pay range for the position. It is provided as a good faith estimate as to what our ideal candidates are likely to expect, as we tailor our offers within the range based on the selected candidate’s experience, industry knowledge, location, technical and communication skills and other factors that may prove relevant during the interview and selection process.