Would you like to join one of the fastest-growing teams within Microsoft Azure Engineering? Are you constantly customer-obsessed, and focused on enhancing customer experience? Are you passionate about cloud computing and love the challenge of solving the most complex technical problems? Come join us and surround yourself with people who are passionate about cloud computing and believe that extraordinary support is critical to customer success.
We are Azure Customer Experience Engineering – a global Azure Engineering Support organization (part of Azure Customer Experience group) that is customer-obsessed, support engaged, with an engineering mindset.
As a Senior Customer Experience Engineer, you are the primary support and engineering contact accountable for the customer’s Azure support experience driving resolution of complex critical problems and supporting key customer projects on Azure. You will also act as the voice of the customer within Azure to escalate problems and to drive prioritization of platform/support improvement needs for customers.
In this role, you will work together with field teams (Customer Success Account Managers, Cloud Solution Architects, Support Escalation Engineers) and Azure engineering teams with our mission to turn Azure customers into fans with a world-class engineering-led support experience.
Microsoft’s mission is to empower every person and every organization on the planet to achieve more. As employees we come together with a growth mindset, innovate to empower others, and collaborate to realize our shared goals. Each day we build on our values of respect, integrity, and accountability to create a culture of inclusion where everyone can thrive at work and beyond.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering, Computer Science, or related field AND 4+ years experience in software industry experience related to technology
- OR equivalent experience.
Candidates must be able to meet Microsoft, customer and/or government security screening requirements are required for this role. These requirements include, but are not limited to the following specialized security screenings:
- Citizenship & Citizenship Verification: This position requires verification of U.S. citizenship due to citizenship-based legal restrictions. Specifically, this position supports United States federal, state, and/or local United States government agency customers and is subject to certain citizenship-based restrictions where required or permitted by applicable law. To meet this legal requirement, citizenship will be verified via a valid passport.
- The successful candidate must have an active U.S. Government Top Secret Clearance with access to Sensitive Compartmented Information (SCI) based on a Single Scope Background Investigation (SSBI) with Polygraph. Ability to meet Microsoft, customer and/or government security screening requirements are required for this role. Failure to maintain or obtain the appropriate U.S. Government clearance and/or customer screening requirements may result in employment action up to and including termination.
- Microsoft Cloud Background Check: This position will be required to pass the Microsoft Cloud background check upon hire/transfer and every two years thereafter.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering, Computer Science, or related field AND 8+ years software industry experience related to technology
- OR Master’s Degree in Engineering, or related field AND 6+ years software industry experience related to technology
- OR equivalent experience.
- 2+ years customer facing experience
- Excellent Communication: Possesses the ability to empathize with customers and convey confidence. Able to explain technical issues to varied audiences. Able to prioritize and advocate customer’s needs to the proper channels. Take ownership and work towards a resolution.
- Technical Skills: Some understanding of cloud computing technologies. Optionally, demonstrated hands on experience in one or more of the following:
- Core IaaS: Compute, Storage, Networking, High Availability
- Data Platform and Bigdata: SQL Server, Azure SQL DB, HDInsight/Hadoop, Machine Learning, Azure Stream Analytics, Azure Data Factory / Data Bricks
- Azure PaaS Services: Redis Cache, Service Bus, Event Hub, Cloud Service, IoT suite, Mobile Apps, etc.
- Identity and Authentication: SSO/Federation, AD/Azure AD, ADFS, etc.
- Cosmos DB, Azure Kubernetes Service
- Experience in one or more automation languages (PowerShell, Python, C#, Open Source)
Customer Experience Engineering IC4 – The typical base pay range for this role across the U.S. is USD $112,000 – $218,400 per year. There is a different range applicable to specific work locations, within the San Francisco Bay area and New York City metropolitan area, and the base pay range for this role in those locations is USD $145,800 – $238,600 per year.
Certain roles may be eligible for benefits and other compensation. Find additional benefits and pay information here: https://careers.microsoft.com/us/en/us-corporate-pay
- Utilizes engineering tools, customer telemetry and direct customer input to identify and flag the defects/signals in the product or product misuse, or an issue with the customer. Tracks customer incidents and with minimal oversight, engages with customers and partners to understand the issue, inform them about the active cases, and communicate progress and next steps to customers. With minimal guidance, contributes to or investigates and troubleshoots the issues using diagnostics.
- Gathers feedback from the customers and partners to learn about the product usage and identify feature and knowledge gaps and key performance indicators (KPIs) in the current product. With minimal guidance, implements new features/tools to improve products. Helps customers and partners stay current with best practices by sharing content via multiple forums. Identifies content improvement or troubleshooting guides. Helps implement automation of complex solutions for the team.
- Identifies and leverages potential developmental opportunities across product areas and business processes (e.g., mentorships, shadowing, trainings) for professional growth and to develop and execute on technical intensity/skilling to resolve customer issues.
Customer Solution Lifecycle Management:
- Conducts health checks to ensure customer environment (e.g., product, service, feature) is optimized and configured for deployment. With minimal guidance, provides guidance to customers on understanding and implementing new versions. With minimal guidance, serves as a connecting point between the engineering team and customers throughout the solution lifecycle. With minimal guidance, conducts feature reviews on new deployment to identify gaps. With managerial support, provides guidance to customers on designing configurations and deploying solutions on Microsoft platforms. With minimal guidance, engages with customers to understand their business and availability needs to then help develop guidance to meet deployment needs.
- Serves as a connecting point and escalates specific customer issues to appropriate teams to resolve customer issues. Communicates progress and keeps stakeholders aligned with respect to escalations. With some supervision, handles escalations on customer issues from the support or field teams. Escalates issues to managers within the team if more assistance is needed. With minimal oversight, conducts root-cause analysis of the issues and follows up with the customers.
- Collaborates with the relevant product and business groups on how customers use the product. Understands and identifies gaps in customer scenarios and product limitations. Provides details to the product and business groups on customer product experience and usage. With minimal supervision, acts as a voice of customers (VOCs) to inform product and business groups on customer product experience and usage.
- With minimal guidance, partners with other teams (e.g., program managers, software engineers, product, customer service support [CSS] teams) to review and unblock and resolve customer incidents/issues. Collaborates with internal partner teams to supports delivery of solutions back to the customers. Informs stakeholders on customer progression including issues. Independently starts to build partnerships with internal technical teams to update the troubleshooting resources. With minimal guidance, works with the relevant product and business groups to resolve customer issues.
Work in a 24x7x365 support model. This will involve working in an on-call rotation.