The VAT Manager, based in our central London office on the Strand, reports to the Group Head of Tax and is responsible for managing the VAT and indirect tax affairs of the group. The role will address indirect tax implications, manage indirect tax risk and be a representative for VAT across the business and with tax advisers. The role will also support compliance with the SAO regime and ensure appropriate VAT controls and processes are in place across the UK and Europe.
The role provides excellent exposure across the business to different finance teams and group functions (including the retail, design, and development teams) with opportunities to further grow and develop your career in a fast-paced and growing company. This is a relatively new role and the successful candidate should be a confident and motivated individual who can build relationships and quickly develop into the point of indirect tax support across the business.
- Ensure VAT and indirect tax (including import duties and customs) compliance in existing jurisdictions (UK, US, Spain, Germany, Denmark, Sweden, Greece, and Netherlands) and future jurisdictions that the business expands into
- Work with the Group Head of Tax to advise on VAT clauses in commercial contracts/transactions
- VAT Permanent Establishment analysis
- Initiate and lead on VAT projects eg, EU VAT Refunds
- Provide in-house VAT training to the business; ensure finance managers are up-to-date with changes in VAT law
- Detailed analysis of VAT returns
- Review of VAT balance sheet accounts
- Continually review the VAT process to ensure each business unit is compliant
- VAT Process Owner for Senior Accounting Officer purposes
- Plan and future-proof VAT software system with Making Tax Digital in mind
- Advise on Opting To Tax requirements and consequences to our property business
- Work with the Procurement Team and Retail on customs and import duties
- Assist with VAT audits across the business and escalate issues to the Head of Tax
- Ad hoc Indirect Tax issues within the business
- You must have experience in VAT compliance and advisory work with a background obtained in a recognized accounting firm or a large corporate organization. You will either have a professional qualification, e.g. ATT/ACCA, or be qualified by experience
- Strong technical, accounting, and systems skills including demonstrable experience in MTD
- Ability and flexibility to work well under tight deadlines and multi-task
- Critical thinking and problem-solving skills
- The high degree of attention to detail
- Excellent communication skills, written and verbal
- Ability to adjust priorities and manage time appropriately and agilely in a fast-paced environment and under pressure
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to build relationships across departments in the UK and overseas
- Collaborative team player with the ability to foster good working relationships with external advisors and auditors
- Confident in dealing with senior individuals in the organization
Soho House offers competitive compensation packages that feature global benefits and perks. Whether you’re seeking entry-level employment or a new opportunity to expand your profession, we offer training to develop the technical and managerial skills necessary to grow your career.
- Discounts at Soho House globally, as well as Soho Home and Cowshed
- Annual Every House Membership
- Enhanced Pension Scheme
- Private Health and Dental Care
- Cycle to Work Scheme/Season Ticket Loan
- In conjunction with Soho Impact, take 2 days paid a year to support a charity of your choice.
- Cookhouse & House Tonic: Our Cookhouse & House Tonic programs offer unique food and drink training, events, and opportunities to inspire and educate.
- Team Events: From fitness sessions to cinema screenings and art classes, each month we hold a series of fun events which you can sign up to.