Every great story has a new beginning, and yours starts here.
Welcome to Warner Bros. Discovery… the stuff dreams are made of.
Who We Are…
When we say, “the stuff dreams are made of,” we’re not just referring to the world of wizards, dragons and superheroes, or even to the wonders of Planet Earth. Behind WBD’s vast portfolio of iconic content and beloved brands, are the storytellers bringing our characters to life, the creators bringing them to your living rooms and the dreamers creating what’s next…
From brilliant creatives, to technology trailblazers, across the globe, WBD offers career defining opportunities, thoughtfully curated benefits, and the tools to explore and grow into your best selves. Here you are supported, here you are celebrated, here you can thrive.
Your New Role…
WBD is looking to embrace a dynamic and entrepreneurial individual that has the one team mentality. The Cloud Cost Optimization Engineer reports into the Cloud Cost Management (Cloud FinOps) team within WBD’s GT&O group. The team is responsible for overseeing the global and multi cloud footprint for WBD Inc with a critical mission focused on promoting, governing, and implementing economical consumption. The Cloud Cost Optimization Engineer will partner with architects and engineers to advise on architecture and resource optimization, waste management, capacity management, KPI development and maintenance, and tagging and alerts enhancements
Your Role Responsibilities…
The Cloud Cost Optimization Engineer will be a critical member of the team working directly with our cloud clients, leadership, and vendors:
- Monitor cloud consumption in various accounts and projects to mitigate waste and to determine areas of resource efficiency
- Work with account owners and engineers on an ongoing basis to advise on cloud resource setup in light of operational and financial trade-offs
- Comprehend complex architectural diagrams for new and existing projects to derive cost impact and advise on the cost mechanics and alternatives of the various cloud services
- Recommend savings opportunities related to cloud commitment purchases (Reserved Instances, Savings Plans, Spot, Committed/Sustained Usage..etc)
- Track utilization of cloud reservation/savings plans and work with teams to re-purpose freed up capacity
- Evaluate and investigate data patterns and anomalies to derive insightful knowledge that can inform strategic and operational decisions
- Leverage the cloud CMDB and other tools to advise on strategies for resource mapping, tagging, and maturity
- Analyze cloud services and deployed resources volume to inform contractual negotiations relating service discounts and commitment levels
- Participate in building, maturing, and governing Cost Optimization policies and best practices
- Act as subject matter expert in advising on new and existing cloud services and resources across cloud vendors
- Participate in automating, integrating, and maturing the Cloud FinOps team’s processes and data
Qualifications & Experiences…
- HS Diploma/GED required; BS degree preferred
- +5 years experience working as a cloud engineer, developer, or architect
- Experience in core cloud services architecture and cost mechanics (Compute, containers, database, serverless, storage..etc)
- Advanced understanding of AWS cloud platform, Cost Explorer, Cost and Usage report, and services
- Knowledge of GCP cloud platform, console, and services
- Experience in DevOps/SRE practices such as CI/CD, IaC, and expertise with Linux and Windows stacks
- Experience in cost management tactics such as enterprise wide discount programs and commitment plans (Reserved Instances, Savings Plans, Spot, Sustained Use/Committed Use Discounts,..)
- Experience in navigating and managing cloud CMDB
- Experience with 3rd party cloud optimization tools and in utilizing data from monitoring tools to advise on optimization opportunities (New Relic, Splunk, CloudWatch..etc)
- Experience with developing scripts via Python (other languages might be applicable) to implement automated cost optimization control policies
- Ability to connect various services using related product APIs
- Possess an AWS Solutions Architect certification, or ability to attain within 6 months is required
- Please be advised that this is a HYBRID role. Working onsite 3 days per week is required for this position.
How We Get Things Done…
This last bit is probably the most important! Here at WBD, our guiding principles are the core values by which we operate and are central to how we get things done. You can find them at www.wbd.com/guiding-principles/ along with some insights from the team on what they mean and how they show up in their day to day. We hope they resonate with you and look forward to discussing them during your interview.
The Legal Bits…
Warner Bros. Discovery embraces the opportunity to build a workforce that reflects the diversity of our society and the world around us. Being an equal opportunity employer means that we take seriously our responsibility to consider qualified candidates on the basis of merit, without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, mental or physical disability, and genetic information, marital status, citizenship status, military status, protected veteran status or any other category protected by law.
If you’re a qualified candidate with a disability and you need a reasonable accommodation in order to apply for this position, please contact us at [email protected].