We are looking for a self-directed and curious data scientist who is interested in working with geospatial and earth science data to support BGC’s data science, software, and geoscience teams. You will join our small but rapidly growing data team who is specialized in delivering innovative products to our clients in the earth observation and applied geoscience space. As a key member of a small team, your responsibilities will be broad and range from internal networking, writing proposals, researching, maintaining physical and virtual resources, and working with the software team to implement algorithms into BGC’s enterprise software offering, Cambio(TM). The right candidate will be excited by the prospect of exploring new ways to analyze geospatial data at scale, in pursuit of novel solutions to applied earth science challenges.
This position can be located at any BGC office in Canada or the US.
- You will apply your expertise in full-stack data science to BGC’s unique set of earth science challenges.
- Build prototype analyses, visualizations, and dashboards to support solving complex earth science challenges
- Collaborate with the software team as part of the agile development life cycle.
- Keep up with current technologies to ensure that application performance is optimized.
- Identify ways to improve reliability, efficiency and quality of data services.
Required Education, Experience & Competencies
- Bachelor’s degree in Earth Sciences, Geological Engineering, Geography, or other related field
- Augmented education in Computer Science, Software Engineering, Data Science, Geomatics, or equivalent work experience
- 4+ years of related industry experience
- Experience working with remote sensing data (e.g. satellite imagery, InSAR, Lidar, or drone data) and geospatial data
- Experience with programmatic manipulation and ETL, working with large raster datasets, and proficiency in data analysis and visualization
- Strong knowledge and experience of public cloud architecture and tooling
- Experience maintaining and deploying data science infrastructure, both on premise and in the cloud working alongside DevOps team
- Experience working collaboratively in Azure DevOps or Gitlab or equivalent
- Experience in the following: Python, SQL, Scientific Python (NumFocus), Xarray, Dask, Spark, R, GDAL, Spatial relational databases (e.g. PostGIS), Cloud Computing, Distributed Systems, Docker, Kubernetes or equivalent
- Comfortable presenting to and working directly with clients or principal engineers and geoscientists
Desired Education, Experience & Competencies
- Registration as an Engineer or Geoscientist
- Design and implementation of REST APIs
- Experience with the following: TensorFlow or PyTorch
- Machine learning development experience such as, applied ML on spatial or raster data (in at least one real-world project), research ML, implementing others’ algorithms and papers
- One or more projects involving inference in production – problems like input drift, model versioning, continual verification
- Experience working with large time-series data sets
BGC is committed to maintaining a safe work environment, and we are following current public health orders to ensure the health and safety of our employees while maintaining their privacy and respecting their individual circumstances. As of July 4, 2022, the BGC COVID-19 vaccination policy has been suspended until further notice. If BGC resumes this policy, all employees will be required to submit all COVID-19 vaccination records to HR. If you require any accommodations or are not able to comply with this request, please inform Human Resources.
BGC offers our employees the following:
- Our ‘One Team’ culture supporting health, wellness, safety and diversity
- Comprehensive benefits package
- Maternity/Paternity leave top ups
- Professional development and mentoring opportunities
- Flat management structure
- Flexible workplace with office and home arrangements
- Social and wellness activities
- Casual and professional work environment
BGC is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. If you need assistance or an accommodation with your application, please